Shape Up: Stop Running in Circles and Ship Work that Matters by Ryan Singer.
Another great book by the people of Basecamp.
The Shape Up method:
- Shaped versus unshaped work
- Designing at the right level of abstraction
- Setting appetites instead of estimates
- Concepting with breadboards and fat marker sketches
- Making deliberate commitments—bets— instead of feeding the machine
- Choosing the right cycle length (six weeks)
- A cool-down period between cycles
- Breaking projects apart into scopes
- Downhill versus uphill work and communicating about unknowns
- Scope hammering to separate must-haves from nice-to-haves
Six week cycles, two tracks
Phases of the work
Steps to perform